Thursday 18 November 2010

Deptford, Putney, London Bridge & Timbuktu ...









... all locations that I've shot at this week or been asked too... I started the week with a great shoot for Made in London, with Ndidi Ekubia at her workshop in Deptford.  Ndidi is a silversmith who crafts beautiful 3 dimensional pieces out of single flat sheets of metal.  I was expecting a delicate, gentile operation but the grace and precision of her pieces belies the effort and power that goes into their making.  I've never been with a worker of precious metal who had so many anvils and hammers.  I'll be shooting more with Ndidi when she returns from New York where she's taking part in a show at the Museum of Arts and Design.


Meanwhile I've managed a couple of shoots for dark Waters - from the footbridge at Putney and from London Bridge.  


And where does Timbuktu come into it? I've been asked to shoot a documentary for BBC World following in the footsteps of Leo Africanus - a 16th Century traveller and writer.  His most famous destination was Timbuktu.... so if we can get visas from the Mali government, we're off to Timbuktu. Although I'm not the first person in my family to go there... apparently my grandfather made it there too.....if I can believe the family stories....

No comments:

Post a Comment